Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Commute to Work? Not Enough Sleep? Join the Club.


 
Fall is finally here in Chicago.  The wind has picked up and the weather has cooled down.  My yard is full of leaves, which means it’s time to start doing more yard work.  With more work comes less sleep and I am certainly a victim of this vicious cycle these days.

While I am fortunate to not have to commute by car to work, according to a survey completed Statistics Brain published on 7/1/15, 75.7% of commuters in the US commute alone by car.  According to a December 2013 study completed by Gallup, the average American gets 6.8 hours of sleep.  This is far less than the recommended eight to nine hours of sleep.  Okay, so what?

Less sleep and more driving is a dangerous combination.  If you have a naturally curious mind and do not watch MythBusters, I highly recommend it.  MythBusters confirmed the fact that driving while drowsy is more dangerous than driving while drunk.  While I would not recommend either of them, how can we avoid driving tired?  (Yes, I admit that these things can be hard to commit to, but I wouldn’t recommend risking your life by not trying to take advantage of some of them.  Info courtesy of AAA.)

·         If you’re tired, pull over.  I am guilty of not doing this and it is dangerous.  The one time that this happened to me that I can point out, I arrived home and was terrified of all the things that could have gone wrong.  It all could have been avoided by taking a break at a gas station and walking around.  My life and the other lives in my car are not worth the ten minutes that it could take to get out.

·         Get enough sleep (DUH!).  During the week, this is hard.  I understand!  But no project, proposal, email is worth your life.  I promise.

·         Carpool.  Here’s an easy fix and you’ll save some money!  Carpool with a friend/coworker.  You’ll have someone to talk to and they can watch for your signs of fatigue.

·         Take a power nap.  This one might be my favorite.  Ever since I was young, I was a napper.  My parents can attest to the fact that I slept well and often!  If you’re getting ready to drive home and you’re beat from the day, take a quick power nap.  Most offices have wellness rooms these days where you can catch a quick couple minutes of sleep.

·         Know your signs of fatigue.  Make sure you’re aware of when you’re tired and (most importantly) react to it.  If you’re yawning, if you’re day dreaming, if you’re drifting from your lane.  Know what they are and know what to do.

How can you make the road safer for the other individuals who drive each day?  You would want people to do this for you, why shouldn’t you do it for them?

Info courtesy of:





Photo courtesy of:

No comments:

Post a Comment